Scotland independence referendum could take place “as early as late 2021,” says SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford.
Speaking to PA on Friday, Blackford said he wanted to see that referendum happen “as quickly as is practically possible”.
Blackford went on: “[Scottish constitutional secretary Mike Russell] has spoken of the time-frame of six months once the bill comes into effect, that could be in June so that we could be facing a referendum as soon as the end of 2021.”
However, he added: “But the key thing is that we put in place the circumstances that allow that to happen, whenever it happens, and that we have an inclusive debate with everybody in Scotland about the kind of country that they want to live in.”
A recent poll by Savanta ComRes showed that 53 percent supported Scotland”s separation from the UK, while the rest of 47 percent wanted to remain in the United Kingdom.
The UK Budget marked a return to damaging Tory austerity cuts, which pushed millions into poverty over the past decade.
— Ian Blackford (@Ianblackford_MP) March 3, 2021